Friday, October 26, 2012

Chiang Mai!

I went to Chiang Mai, and it was as cool as the name sounds. The old city is basically a giant square, surrounded by a moat. The walls are still up and all, but the new city has grown around it. Not going to lie- one of the highlights was eating a burrito. I haven't had real non-Thai food in over two months and it was a hell of a good first, second, and twentieth bite. The margaritas were great too. The downside: They couldn't understand my Thai (I know I have a thick accent, but I'm trying like crazy!), they couldn't understand my English (figures), but the worst part was, they could not understand my Spanish Slang (what gives?!) I'm still confused as to how these people communicate in the kitchens.

The best part though (and it's going to be stereotypical so I warned you): riding elephants! BUT this was not stereotypical tourist riding. We rode the elephants bareback. No wooden chairs/ saddles like those other farangs (foreigners in Thai.) It was ecotourism at its best. But, hey, it was exciting and beautiful. We went through jungles, viewing the rice fields on the mountain side, seeing the river run below our feet. It started to pour, and I was in complete aw at it all. Amazing creatures, amazing experience. 

The twelve hour bus ride was worth it.... but only once. Hey, a girl needs to sleep, and not in a upright position with a Thai soap opera blasting the bus speakers at two in the morning. Until next time! Sah-wah-dee-ka! (c-ya!)

No comments:

Post a Comment